indie scent

Great songs from indie bands and labels that don't mind sharing the occasional song online, in four categories:

Friday, July 14, 2006

Pungent Indie Rock

Wintersleep -- Jaws of Life (7mb mp3 from the band's site)
I can be overly nostalgic at times. This one takes me back to Pearl Jam's Ten, which came out around the time I was graduating high school. Ten defined the poppier side of grunge, and was enormously popular, so I suppose it's totally uncool to admit loving something that sounds like it 15 years later. Anyway, this maritime band can't be faulted for having a great singer who sounds a bit like Eddie Vedder did before he started worshipping Neil Young and blowing out his vocal chords.

The other songs I've heard from Wintersleep have a more modern indie-rock vibe, mellower and with less distortion, and Jaws of Life starts out that way too before building things up with a huge, growling guitar that also props up the chorus admirably. They really nail the loud-quiet transitions, almost erasing the song at the two-minute mark before ascending again to the heights of the arena-rock anthem.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I used to work with a guy at Weyerhaeuser that played in few Maritime indie bands, and he knew these guys well. He was always trying to get them to play in Vancouver. I think they eventually made it but I never saw them, listened to them a lot though. Good band, and I'll agree with the Eddie Vedder reference though I see nothing wrong with worshipping Neil. Eddie did ruin his range though, no doubt.

5:34 p.m.  
Blogger Jeremy said...

I guess when I throw Pearl Jam and Neil Young references in a post, it's an obvious ploy to elicit a Nick comment.

Great band, for sure. I've heard that they're super tight live -- would probably be a great show.

I actually thought that on a few songs on PJ's newest album, Eddie's voice seemed to sound a little less damaged somehow. I keep wanting to love their recent albums, but I find it challenging.

10:35 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home