indie scent

Great songs from indie bands and labels that don't mind sharing the occasional song online, in four categories:

Monday, June 19, 2006

Pungent Indie Rock

End of Fashion -- Oh Yeah (2.7mb mp3 from the band's SXSW2006 page, which won't last)
Sometimes I take music too seriously, so I picked this song for the pure fun, in honour of the start of summer. It's got that loose, upbeat, mid-tempo vibe best characterized by Weezer's best stuff, including the thick power chords used to prop up a simple hollered chorus that wouldn't have felt out of place on Pinkerton. Again, fun.

6 Comments:

Blogger E said...

I really like this song... we thought it sounded like a cross between weezer and the pixies...

12:43 p.m.  
Blogger Jeremy said...

Totally, eh? But not to the point of ripping them off. Seems like they've got their own vibe.

12:38 p.m.  
Blogger E said...

That first riff sounds like "there goes my mind" I can't get that song out of my head!!

Need to try and scope down some more.

9:54 p.m.  
Blogger Jeremy said...

I hadn't noticed the similarity of the chord progression until you pointed it out! That's funny.

10:15 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that is an instantly recognizable riff. It's nice of Frank Black to write so many great guitar parts for bands to rip off. More people should try to appreciate his influence on independent and popular music. I noticed that Frank is touring and coming to my new adopted city, Calgary, in November which is a much needed concert break. After living next door to the Commodore in Vancouver, it's been a struggle to find something decent to go to here. People in Calgary tend to liek George Strait, I'm still trying to figure out who that is. Jer, contrary to what these posts might suggest I do have a wider musical interest than Neil Young and the Pixies, but I consider it a good base.

7:51 p.m.  
Blogger Jeremy said...

I know you've got wider tastes, Nick. Doesn't hurt to reference musical touchstones, though.

On this tune, the chord progression in the verse is certainly similar to Where is My Mind?, but I think the song overall is different enough to not be considered a rip-off. Great energy, and takes itself less seriously somehow.

12:07 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home